House-Bound? Tips for Managing Stress and Staying Productive
The world is changing and we have no idea what to expect next and this can be stressful for some. But it doesn't have to be.
Lately, I've been wanting to know the facts about the coronavirus and get the right information yet at the same time I find myself getting overwhelmed. There are hoaxes and so many conflicting “facts”.
Then I open my Facebook and it's all the same there. People are talking about conspiracy theories and hidden agendas. Then my mind starts boggling. WHAT DON'T WE KNOW? AHHHH!
I’ve had a cold (I hope??) and I’ve been in isolation. But to be honest, it hasn’t been all doom and gloom.
In this post, I’m going to tell you what I’ve learnt. How I have come out of those moments of panic. And how I am staying productive whilst working from home.
Tips for Managing Your Mindset
Get Offline for a While
This has been my biggest saviour. At times I’ve looked at my phone and it’s like a Corona hotline. All my friends and family in group text messages are talking about it. Facebook and Instagram is obsessed with it. And the news – if you start really thinking about what’s going on, you can begin to go into overwhelm.
So… turn off for a while and be in the moment! If you’re lucky to be in lockdown with loved ones, go back to simpler times and get out the board games and connect! Don’t have a board game? Download the app “Heads Up”. Trust me, you’ll love it!
And if you're tired of Netflix then get back into old fashioned reading!
Connect With People
If you’re feeling quite isolated and anxious, there are ways to feel not alone:
- Arrange Zoom catch ups with your friends. Send an invite and make sure everyone brings a glass of their favourite drink and have a good laugh!
- Watch comedies on Netflix and invite your friends to have a Netflix party
- Start conversations online that are positive (ask what everyone is doing to stay positive and ask what shows they’re watching)
- Check out Gabby Bernstein‘s tips on Instagram for people who are feeling anxious and alone
- Remember that we are actually all in this together and there are people feeling exactly the same as you. Find them online and connect! Now more than ever, we are feeling the love in our WP Elevation online communities:
Continue to Grow Your BusinessSome people in our Facebook groups have been talking about ways they can help people at the moment to get online. But there seems to be this element of guilt about it. There is a big difference between buying toilet paper and selling it to make a profit and helping someone with their business to make a profit. You owe it to yourself and your clients to run a profitable business. And if you are one of the lucky ones finding that you are getting more work at the moment, then now is the time to think about how you can grow your business to be able to take on the extra load.
Nurture Positive ThoughtsThere is a collective feeling of anxiousness at the moment as we move from a mindset of “living” to “survival”. So when your thoughts start to spiral towards the end of the world happening (yep, I went there!) then don't forget that good things are happening too. And instead visualise us all coming out of this stronger and with a greater sense of appreciation for everything we have.
Be OK With Not Being OKIt’s very interesting to see what comes up for you emotionally when you stop. We spend our lives rushing around and working so often we actually have no idea how we are feeling. When you slow down, anything that we have been distracting ourselves from feeling will come up. This is a good thing! But instead of going into the next season of your favourite show, perhaps try to sit with the feeling, write about it, meditate on it and let it go. If you download the Insight Timer app, there are many free meditations on there to help you through this time. But if you are finding that things become too much then reach out! There are many counsellors and psychologists who are offering online sessions at the moment. Or call a support line such as Beyond Blue.
Keep MovingNo excuses! If you're not feeling sick, there are plenty of online workouts and yoga classes. It is extremely important now more than ever to stay active to help with mental and physical health. If you're like me and not a big fan of gym style workouts, then try these super fun dance routines with the Fitness Marshall. His latest routine includes special hand sanitising moves! Keep Your Kids Occupied Here are some great tips that I got from a friend:
- Get a scrap book and get them to keep a daily diary of what day it is, what the weather is, what activities they do and any observations
- Read to them as ask comprehension questions about the story. Can they suggest alternate endings? Discuss the characters. If they are interested in a particular topic then generate research into that
- Do real maths by putting out objects and physically add and subtract
- Cutting out for fine motor skills development. Lots of art projects.
- Get them to help with cooking, measuring and weighing
- Get them to write a story
Help OthersThere are so many people who have lost jobs and are without income at the moment. Are there any ways that you help those in need? When we get our minds off ourselves it actually helps us too! Here are some tips from GoDaddy on how you can help your clients at the moment. Troy and Simon also held a Covid-19 crisis management workshop for digital agencies and freelancers last week if you need some guidance on how to move forward now with your business.
Tips for Working From Home
Create a Routine
Create To-Do ListsI won't delve too much into this topic as we have another blog that will help you manage your time. But, I just want to stress how important it is to have daily goals. If you don't, then it is easy to become lazy. Everyone at WP Elevation has their own set of quarterly goals which we map out in Asana and report on each week. This is great to keep everyone in the team accountable.
Minimise DistractionsThis is hard if you have pets, children and a heap of house work to do. So try and make your desk somewhere away from distractions. And turn off your phone. Because if your phone is anything like mine at the moment, its non stop! Play background sounds or music. Check out My Noise – It’s amazing!
Clean Home = Clear MindThis is an important one if you’re now working from home (or already were!) In order to stay productive, it helps to have a clean and organised home to help you have a clean and organised mind. So spend some time to clean, throw out, and arrange an organised working space.
Tools to Help CommunicationHere are some tools to use to help your remote team have clearer communication:
- Slack: to communicate with your team
- Zoom: for team and client meetings which you can record
- Loom: to easily explain things to your team or clients by recording your screen and voice at the same time
- Use a Trello Board to keep on top of what everyone is doing in your team
Maintain BalanceWe all know that stress is bad for your physical health and can lead to burn out. So ensure that you're making self-care a priority now more than ever. Do something that makes you happy every day and make your mental and physical health a priority right now.
Good Things Are Happening TooWhilst it is heart breaking to think about all the people in the world who are struggling right now, we have to step out of the panic mindset and think about:
- How we are learning about what really matters.
- How much we are becoming so appreciative of the small things in life and realising how much has been taken for granted – the freedom to go to the shops, movies, restaurants and to hug each other!
- How communities are coming together and supporting each other more than ever
- How some people are turning this into an opportunity to do what they have always wanted to do like start their own business
- The fact that we will get through this