I met Trent Lapinski from CyberChimps at Pressnomics in 2013 and I was very impressed by his commitment to his customers and his passion for his startup company. In between speakers at Pressnomics, Trent was designing themes on his MacBook and it was clear that he just loves what he does. We spoke a lot about where WordPress is headed and the challenges theme companies face (support, support and support). Trent is a very ambitious entrepreneur who is kicking some serious goals in the WordPress space and he is very open and transparent about his journey. We are so lucky to be a part of the WordPress business community because you don’t get this type of open communication in other industries.
Watch the Video
Trent is giving away a pro copy of the Responsive theme from CyberChimps valued at $40 so watch the interview for details on how to enter.
The highlights of this episode include
- Trent’s first use of the internet (trying to find a girlfriend at age 10)
- working as a web developer and internet marketer for Playboy (yes, THAT Playboy)
- having too much content to choose from (that would be a nice problem to have)
- how he has built his company from a one man show to a team of over 10
- knowing he couldn’t do it alone and the importance of defining clear roles for new staff
- hiring and delegating on an “as-need” basis
- selling “support” separately from themes, and
- how open and transparent Trent is with his journey and challenges.
Trent suggested I interview somebody outside the WordPress space and mentioned perhaps somebody from Pressnomics 2013 and I remember being inspired by Maria Ogneva, community gal at Salesforce . Maria, keep your eyes on your inbox.
Hint: to enter the competition, leave a comment below and tell us the number one feature you would like to see in a future them from CyberChimps.